Route 66 trip update #2
Welcome to update #2 for my 2014 trip of a lifetime travelling along Route 66.
So firstly, here’s some interesting facts about The Mother Road…..
As mentioned in earlier posts, Route 66, aka Will Rogers Highway, The Mother Road, Main Street of America is:
- 2,451miles (3,945) kilometres long
- came into existence on November 11 1926
- it was one of the original highways in the US highway system
- it originally ran through Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.
- it covers two thirds of the distance across the US (…..and I’m doing this in 15 days…..am I nuts?)
Here is a Google Earth Map of the road….
- it begins on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, and ends near the Santa Monica pier on the Pacific Ocean coast.
- sights along the road include…..old petrol stations, motels, restaurants, and roadside oddities such as Meramac Caverns in Missouri (favourite hideout of Jesse James), 90 ft Foyil Totem pole in Oklahoma, Cadillac Ranch (10 old half buried Cadillacs) in Texas, Leaning Tower of Britten, Texas and McDonald’s San Bernardino – the very first McDonald’s restaurant, opened off Route 66 in 1940.
- For me this will be my first trip to the USA, and my first trip outside of Australia! So why not start my travelling with something Epic!!
Here’s another custom painted street glide…. This is the one I’d love to get.
So that’s it for today, have a great weekend,